Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Power in your pocket- 10 awesome ethical beauty buys

I thought I would share with you some of my favorite products that are both cheap and effective. I also try my hardest to be a conscious consumer and shop ethically. I feel like as a consumer the power is in my pocket and I make a point of buying things I know are not tested on animals, have less harmful and yucky ingredients and are guaranteed to get you squeaky clean and/or moisturized

Natures Organics Fruits Hair Spa in Mango and Coconut
This stuff smells amazing, retails for about $4 a bottle at your local supermarket, is Australian made, vegan, not tested on animals, plant based, and even the bottle is made from corn! It is a great everyday shampoo that makes my hair super yummy, there is a whole range of 'flavors' and it is a definite win for the price!

Natures Organics Spa Fruit Sensations Refreshing Body Wash

While we are on the Natures Organics plug (and no, I don't work for them) Their body wash is also sublime- and smells like lime! It makes me smell good, has all the perks of the shampoo and conditioner above, and at $3 or thereabouts a bottle you can have one of each flavor in your shower!

OK Tea Tree Deodorant

Speaking of smelling lovely, you would be hard pressed these days to find an effective deodorant that isn't tested on animals and doesn't have yuckies like aluminum in them. The Lush ones are great, but a bit pricey. I love OK's tea tree deodorant because tea tree is a miracle for soaking up nasties and neutralizing smell so this stuff is effective. I do find on a hot day I need to apply it once more throughout the day and I go through a bottle every 2 weeks (I can be sweaty especially, and I mean dripping, when I exercise) but for around $3 a bottle at the supermarket, I really can't complain.

Lush Buffy Bar
I can't tell you exactly what is in this, the Lush website would tell you, all I know is that my skin is fucking amazing after using it in the shower, unfortunately this doesn't last long at my house, which makes it so much more exciting that they now sell one twice it's size. The Big Buffy bar retails for $25.95 but it lasts a lot longer (well, if you call a couple weeks a lot longer) the trick is to not get carried away with it, smother it over everywhere, then get it away from the moisture!

Lush Angels on Bare Skin facial scrub
Amazing stuff! my skin is never clearer as when I use this stuff, the texture and smell reminds me of Jurlique but for a quarter of the price. Still a little on the expensive side, retailing for $15.95 but it is totally worth it. St Ives is also an affordable option and good quality and I have recently encountered a press release from their parent company stating that they have put a ban on all animal testing, so that could be an option for those of you not close to a Lush or not willing to pay that much

Palmers Olive Butter
Made from "Certified Organic Olives" (um... ok) and admittedly with some er... questionable ingredients, I am still an addict for this stuff. I lather it on thick every day and have tried many many moisturizers in my time, some expensive, some miracle making, but I have always come back to this stuff. I am also excited to say that Palmers are on PETA's 'do not test' list which is great considering how cheap and available their products are (this one comes from the supermarket at about $12 a bottle)

Ecotools Bamboo Sleep Mask
My theory on wrinkles= they happen quicker when you scrunch your face. What makes you scrunch your face? trying to go to sleep or stay asleep without absolute darkness. I know this is a strange theory but I have taken to wearing a sleep mask to try and delay my inevitable aging. Does it work? Maybe. Is the mask good? Most definitely! and at $6.95, made from sustainable materials and designed by an amazing company that makes great beauty accessories, it's a great buy

Ecotools Recycled Steel Nail File
This little gem is $6.95 (or thereabouts) made from recycled steel and sustainable bamboo and works better than any nail file I have previously used. There is no reason not to own one. Seriously.

Vicco Herbal Tothpaste

Like deodorant, you would be hard pressed to find a toothpaste that isn't tested on animals and isn't produced by a major corporate player (hello colgate palmolive!) This stuff is vegan, all natural and makes for a great toothpaste (it really cleans your teeth!) the taste is a bit herbal but you get used to it pretty quick and you will never go back! I find this baby in health food stores and it is on the pricey side (about $8) but it is a small price to pay for actual toothpaste you know isn't evil (an it won't stain your teeth like fluoride toothpastes can)

Premium Spa Australia SOS Hand Cream

This hand cream is shockingly good and shockingly cheap. Here is the thing, I have disastrously dry hands and feet, to the point where the skin on my hands can peel and I get very untidy and painfully dry cuticles. I bought the best hand cream money could buy- it didn't help. This stuff at $5.95 for a standard tube and $12.95 for a giant tube is a life saver. I found it in Big W (but look here for more stockists) The great thing about this product is it is Australian made with organic (and in Australia 'organic' usually means organic) macadamia nut oil, cocoa butter and licorice extract to help with 'hand aging'. It is all natural ingredients and absolutely no animal testing. They tick all the boxes with me and it smells amazing, plus it really truly makes my hands soft as soft can be. Premium Spa also carry a wide range of other beauty products which I am just dying to try

So there you have it, great, cheap beauty products that are good for you, good for the planet and from ethical companies... who would have thought most of these come from the supermarket!

No comments:

Post a Comment