Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And winter is upon us...


I thought I might share with you my winter awesome soup staple, or as my brother used to call it 'Cowboy Chowder' (food for cowboys, of course!) and the best part is I have hijacked this mummy recipe and made it my own (dairy and wheat free)

You will need

2 cans creamed corn
2 cans corn kernels
2 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 leek sliced
2 stalks celery cut into small pieces
2 cubes 'Massell' 'Chicken' Stock (animal free of course)
2 cups water
1 cup soy milk
1/3 cup 'Nuttex' margarine
2 tablespoons rice flour

Heat butter in deep soup pot until melted, add leek and celery and simmer until soft and translucent
Add rice flour and whisk in until combined
Add water and stock cubes, bring to boil
Add potatoes, and cans of corn, reduce heat
When potato is tender stir in soy milk and season
If it seems a bit too thin you can add more rice flour to thicken it up
Voila! enjoy!

(The boy adds bacon separately but I'm not going to encourage this...)

I make this at least once a week, white beans are really nice in it also!


No comments:

Post a Comment